My Childhood Dogs Proved Herbs For Pets Works!


During my teenage years I had two special companions, the ugliest dog in Calgary and his mother.  Hairy was born when I was twelve and his mother, Candy, was only a year old.  She was a Pomeranian Poodle and Welsh Corgy cross, and although she always had eight pup litters, we never had a problem finding homes for the puppies because they were so cute.  Hairy was the exception. 

There was plenty wrong with him.  He was bald except for white fur boots, a white poodle beard, and a tuft of hair on top of his head that made him look like a Hare Krishna.  The exposed ski was gray and rough like an elephant's.  His teeth pointed in every direction and his male organ was somehow twisted so his urine sprayed on his belly instead of the ground.  He smelled as bad as he looked..

My grandfather, an old time Scottish veterinarian, said that he wouldn't live long.  Nobody adopted Hairy, which was fine with my mother, since she had decided he was cute.  Hairy outlived grandpa, and he and Candy were our faithful friends for many years.  I was the youngest child, and when I grew up and left home, Hairy stayed behind to keep the two mothers company.

Years passed and time caught up with Candy.  When she was twelve, we found two small orange sized tumors on her chest.  The vet told us they were malignant, and since she had a heart murmur she could not survive surgery.  The situation was hopeless and he could only suggest one thing: a homemade dog food containing oatmeal, rye, and wheat flakes boiled with pieces of heart, kidney, and liver with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil added after cooking.

The vet thought Candy would do better without the sodium and other chemicals in commercial dog foods.  My mother faithfully cooked up this blend for both dogs and they maintained good health for several more years.

When Candy was fifteen, her eyesight and kidneys started to go. The following year, she began having episodes of kidney failure; she would stop urinating and lapse into a comatose state.  By then, I was a practicing herbalist and a first degree Reiki, and during the last year of Candy's life, my mother called me over every two or three months to revive her.  

I would return to my childhood home to find Candy lying on the floor with her eyes glassy and her tongue hanging out.  Sometimes I could detect shallow breathing, but often she appeared dead.  Each time, I prepared a herbal tincture of hawthorn berry, juniper berry, lobelia, and cayenne pepper, a blend designed to kick start the heart and get the kidneys working.  I would Reiki her while putting tincture on her tongue every few minutes. After half an hour, Candy would rise from the dead and wobble out the door to urinate.  For the next couple of weeks, my mother would give Candy the tincture three times a day until she appeared stable, then she would function reasonably well until the whole thing happened again.

My family became a battlefield of medical ethics, raising issues herbalists seldom encounter.  We were called cruel for resurrecting an old sick animal, but Candy was my mother's best friend, and when she was not comatose she appeared completely content to live out her days in my mother's company.

Candy finally passed on when my mother was out of town and my brother was dog sitting.  She lapsed into one of her near death experiences and he called the veterinarian and had her put down.  My mother's grief was tempered by winning a new Honda Civic the same day in a Diabetes Association raffle.  She needed a new car.  Hairy lived for another year and a half, lost his eyesight, and died when my mother was once again out of town and my brother was dog sitting.  

I believe Hairy and Candy's long lives were the result of a lot of love, good homemade dog food, a wise and caring veterinarian, and herbs when needed.

This article is informational only and in no way replaces professional veterinary advice or treatment.  Always consult with your veterinarian and equine herbalist before using herbal formulas.